Saturday, April 18, 2009

What forms do I use to get the gst rebate from the government?

I heard the canadian government offers tax incentives if you are 16 and up. I heard if you file your gst, you are eligible to get 100 dollars. I dont have a job, so i can just put 0 on all blanks. I was wondering, what exact forms do i need and what link online do i need? You cannot get the forms for the government yet until Febuary and I really want to get those forms in. Also, I heard you can get the forms online at the grc site, but there are so many. Please tell me all forms to fill out.

Thanks Sonny N.


The GST rebate comes automatically when you file your Federal Income Tax return and check the GST rebate box on page 1.

You can download the the tax return ( T1) form from the the following site .Make sure to select the form that corresponds to you province.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/formspubs/t1general/menu-e.html

You're thinking of the GST Credit, which gets mailed out (or direct deposited) every 3 months (Jan, April, July, Oct). In order to apply for this credit, you must fill out a tax return - even if you didn't make anything. You also have to be 19 in order to receive the credit. You won't benefit from filling out a return this year since you are still a dependant and your parents claim the credits for you until you're 18. When you get your first job, you will get a T4 slip for your income the following February. THEN you will file your first return. So, quick summary, your first return will be filed for the year you start working or the year you turn 18 (so that you get the credit as soon as possible after you turn 19 - you just check "yes" on the return where it says "Are you applying for the GST credit"), whichever comes first.

Here's a link that will tell you a little more about it:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/benefits/gsthst/faq_qualifying-e.html

I hope this helps. =)

P.S. Why did I get 2 thumbs down when I provided accurate info including a link that verifies it? Just curious. =(

Usually when your file your income tax report, there is a box at the top that asks you if you are applying for gst refund, you would simply put an X in that box, there is no form that I am aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment