Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Should the municipal government have a key to each tenants apartment?

Municipal governments in Pennsylvania are now requiring landlords to mount the keys to each apartment outside the building in a "Knox Box". The city will have a key to the box and only enter one of the residential units in the event of an emergency. Personally, I'd rather they break down my door in the event of an emergency. I don't trust the cops, the fire dept., or the EMTs. Why should the government have keys to tenants homes and not homeowners homes?


I can't find any reference to a law requiring that. Do you have more specific information? I highly doubt such a regulation would be legal.

I say NO! We don't need any more legislation or measure which tend to invade privacy so easily.

(BUT...if such a thing must be, we must devise a system with far more accountability on a number of levels...perhaps. What if a deranged cop was stalking someone? he'd only need to go through a few easy hurdles to do his dirty work. If more than one person had to authorize his permission to have access, then that would at least be more safeguarded for the tenant.)

(**thanx for the "best answer" on your Sarah stupid nut question!)

_______________________________

James - I agree. I'm like you...it doesn't sound legal from the start. Maybe WannaKnow's landlord laws are different in his area but around here, they are very well outlined and strict.

I should think not as this would be a good example of "invasion of privacy". Just another example of how we are loosing our freedoms, bit by bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment